Shabby Chic Bathroom Towel Rod
I had the itch to find a small item I could update. A quick little project using supplies I already had. I ventured to the next town over since they were having a string of yard sales.
Enter this cute little piece I found for a $1 at a yard sale.
The metal decor and the letters make the piece dated. But I liked the pocket and the little decorative rod. I thought it would look nice painted white but I had no other ideas at the time.
When I got it home, I noticed the hole that would hold it to the wall was worn and chipped.
There was also a tiny nail missing in the pocket part. I didn’t think it would work holding anything weighty. The words on it were screen printed on so they should disappear under a coat of paint.
I knew I wanted it white so I took off the tin eagle and stars, and gave it a coat of bright white chalk paint. Because it has such a thick texture, it covered the words like a charm. Then I glued the pocket where the missing nail was.
It sat for a few weeks as I tried to figure out what to do with it. If it was just a pocket it would be cute on a front door holding flowers. But the rod was throwing off my vision and I didn’t want to get rid of it.
Then, just like this previous post, I flipped this project on it’s head. Literally.
After I turned it upside down I started picturing it as a cute bathroom towel rod. EUREKA. Let’s go with it and see what happens.
With the scalloped edge it almost looked like an awning. I wanted stripes so I decided to use a pale pink chalk paint from Waverly. I found some little sample bottles at Walmart in a pretty shade called Ballet Slipper. If you want to try chalk paint these are the perfect size for small projects.
I taped the stripes I wanted and then actually used my finger to spread the pink on as it gave it a worn and faded look.
Mel and I had recently done a print transfer to fabric design here. When reading up how to do that, I saw many people had done a print transfer to wood design as well using the same method printing on wax paper. I decided to find a french country design to add to the awning of my towel rod.
I found the perfect image at The Graphics Fairy.
This site is wonderful for finding graphics and project ideas! She has great tutorials on transfer methods too. Her images are all free, so stop over and get inspired.
When printing a transfer image it needs to be a reverse image so the words transfer right. I did edit the PDF so I could just copy part of it and not the whole image. Then I rubbed it on with my finger, going over it several times to make sure it transferred.
Notice that the lower signage is darker. When printing the first part I had forgotten to change the print settings to high quality to print darker. Lesson learned.
I let it dry overnight just so it would set. I added some distressing as well. Then I sprayed a clear coat on it since it would be in a bathroom and would be in contact with moisture.
And VOILA as the French say! My shabby French piece fit for a toilette room.